Thursday, July 28, 2011

Authentic

The word "authentic" is showing-up more and more in corporate storytelling, commercial design briefs & film making.
What is the character & tone? Authentic please. OK? What is that?
Perhaps we should analyze in depth what this word & quality of storytelling is really trying to attain.. What does it mean to you? Authentic? Is your work authentic? Good for you. How bout your clothes? Your writing? Your editing...your thinking? My best work in this business, without a doubt, came in my first year. Imagine that. Why do I believe & say this? Perhaps because it was so damn "authentic". Not sure that is the true meaning of this word - but for now lets go with it. In my first year in this business of storytelling and writing and producing videos and commercials, day one, I was asked to write and produce on-air commercials and promotions for movies on a Fox TV affiliate. And right away, DAY ONE you know whether or not you can do this type of work - cause if you can't - everyone watching your work - will tell you it SUCKS. Most people tell you this anyway...so you develop great confidence and a thick-skin. Now back to authentic storytelling...Why year one? Looking back, it is no doubt because I did NOT have a clue what I was doing AND I had nothing at stake...no familiy, kids, reputation, profit-sharing nada and had NO PROCESS as yet (GOD FORBID). So net, the work wreaked of authenticity...
It all turned out fine - as do ALL our life's journeys....but I do MISS this no process, shoot-from-the-hip approach to creating & storytelling. No pre-production, no storyboard, just authentic and creative spontaneous gut work. It was beautiful and time well spent. Lets all strive for authenticity...and relish authentic outcomes.

No comments: